Into the Exclusion Zone - Part 2

Into the Exclusion Zone - Part 2

May 22, 2016 · 26 min. readWhile the thoughts and opinions are my own, this article was brought to you by a third party. This article may also contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I also earn from qualifying purchases.

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

"The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads."

Revelations 8:10 – 11, Revelations 9: 1 - 4

The Biblical passages above mark the beginning of the end of the world. To most people, these passages are very cryptic but to the people of Ukraine, they make perfect sense. While in English the name of the star is "Wormword", when translated into Ukrainian the word becomes something much more familiar: "Chornobyl".

Angel Blowing the Third Trumpet

To the people of Ukraine, the events of Chernobyl were predicted over a millennium ago. The story gets even more convincing at the 16th Century St. Elijah Church, in Chernobyl City, which for some unknown reason was saved from the nuclear steam cloud. The radiation around the church is so low that it is considered a modern miracle, as there is no explanation to how this is possible.

St. Elijah Church - Chernobyl City

Radiation is part of our everyday lives. Not only do things such as cellphones, microwaves and x-ray machines put out radiation, but so do things such as trees, bananas and your cat. In fact, the planet itself emits radiation. It varies from place to place around the world but the average is 0.27 microsieverts per hour (μSv/h). For example, in my hometown of Regina, Saskatchewan the background radiation is 0.35 μSv/h, while in Kyiv, Ukraine it is 0.18 μSv/h. It would take 1,000,000 (one million) microsieverts one hour to make up a fatal dosage. If you do the math (and I did, so you don't have to) and you use the average amount of microsieverts per hour (0.27), you would reach the fatal amount of radiation after 370,000 hours, or at the age of 422. We will use this math later to discuss how dangerous certain areas of the city actually are.

Our tour began at an abandoned village somewhere inside the Exclusion Zone. Besides Chernobyl and Prypiat, over one hundred communities were abandoned. Sadly, I don't know the name of the village I visited.

House in unknown village in Exclusion Zone

Once inside Chernobyl City, we found several monuments memorializing the communities lost, similar tragedies around the world (such as Hiroshima and Fukishima) and a statue of Joseph Stalin Vladimir Lenin, one of the last remaining statues of him in Ukraine.

Lost villages Joseph Stalin in Exclusion Zone

Unlike Pripyat, Chernobyl City was spared the blunt of the radioactive cloud and is currently inhabited by 750 soldiers. Originally this city had a population of 14,000, so many of the buildings are still abandoned. This is where our hotel was, as well as the store where we could buy food, drinks and alcohol. All items from this store are imported from Kyiv.

Once we passed the checkpoint out of Chernobyl City and into Pripyat, the road deteriorated. We had entered the heart of the Exclusion Zone. The city had been completely overgrown, hiding houses, apartment buildings, cinemas and schools behind a forest of lush green leaves. If our guide wasn't there to tell me when we were close to a building, I would have probably walked right past it.

Our first stop was on the banks of the river Pripyat, which runs through the area. On the horizon were large, rusted sea vessels. Our guide told us these vessels were used to bring in supplies after the initial explosion. They were left to rot in the river once the clean-up was completed. It was here we found out first radioactive hotspot, near some kind of strange metal ship part.

The initial reading was 2.48 μSv/h, which was about ten times the average background radiation. Using the math above, I now know that if I was to stand on that spot, it would take 46 years before the radiation would kill me.

I turned to our guide and asked her what exactly this level of radiation meant. Was 2.48 μSv/h overly dangerous or was it relatively safe? She told me that if we find anything over 10 μSv/h, we should leave. After a few minutes somebody found a more contaminated spot just to the left of the first one. That spot was reading at 14.53 μSv/h, which would kill me in about 8 years.  We left the area soon afterwards.

Contaminated ship part Time to leave

The first building we visited in Pripyat was the Kindergarten. Outside the building was a small contaminated spot near a tree. This spot was reading at 5.46 μSv/h, which would give me a lethal dosage in about 20 years.

This building was buried behind trees, and the once white picket fence that surrounded it was now brown, rotted and crooked. Paint was peeling off the walls, windows were smashed and leaves were blown across the floor. Inside were books, toys, dolls and beds for the children.

Dolls Children's beds Children's beds Children's beds

The next location we visited was the hospital. Our guide made us follow her into the hospital because she had something important to show us: the most radioactive spot inside Pripyat.

We followed her single file through the rotting, peeling, abandoned corridors of the hospital until we entered a large room. Here, she took out her Geiger counter and held it over a strange grey mass on a table. This mass, she explained, was scraps of clothing from the first victims of the accident. Once the reactor blew, some people came out onto the street to see what had happened, and were met head first with the newly spawned radioactive cloud. These victims were immediately taken to the hospital. They were given new clothing and their old clothing was put in the basement. Sometime during the past 30 years, somebody had brought some of this clothing up and put it on display.

Her Geiger counter read 1,307 μSv/h, which is 10,000 times more than normal background radiation. Wearing these scraps of clothing would kill me in 32 days. If I had put this clothing on the day I took this tour, I would have exactly seven days left to live.

Deadly clothing

We then had free reign of the hospital, and could explore its many rooms and levels. We weren't told not to go in the basement, but without a Geiger counter I didn't want to risk it. Instead, I distanced myself from the group and walked down a corridor by myself.

Hospital Waiting Room

I felt fine walking through the abandoned hospital until I turned a corner and realized just how alone I was. While there were about 20 people in the group, they were so far away I couldn't hear them. For the first time since arriving in Pripyat I was alone, and I just listened. I heard the buzzing of bugs, the singing of birds and the blowing of the wind. Here I was in the heart of a city and there was no noise. It was peaceful and quiet.

Hospital Room Hospital Operating Room Hospital Room Hospital Room

As I turned another corner, however, I began to feel uncomfortable. Before me was a long, dark hallway and although this wasn't the first hallway like this in the hospital, this one felt strange. Although I knew I was alone, looking down this hallway I felt like there should be somebody standing there. I took some pictures and reviewed them and saw nothing. Although I was completely alone, I didn't feel that way.

I have never had a paranormal experience before so I can't say if they are real or not, but if there was ever a restless spirit, an abandoned hospital in the heart of the Exclusion Zone would be the right place for it. At this point I turned around and went back to the group.

Hospital Dark Hallway

Our next destination was a marina. The marina had another hotspot near it, but I didn't take a picture of the Geiger counters this time. I believe it was around 3.5 μSv/h, which would give off a fatal dose of radiation in 32 years.

The marina had been trashed. Windows had been smashed, graffiti was on the walls, counters had been flipped over and floor boards had been torn up. In its day the marina would have been used as a beautiful lakeside café. Today, however, it stood in ruin.

We had about ten minutes to explore the area and then carried on through the abandoned city.

Marina in Prypiat Marina in Prypiat Marina in Prypiat

As we walked past a theatre, our guide stopped and showed us a photograph of the theater when it was still in operation. In the photograph there was a statue of a shirtless man holding something above him in the air. That statue wasn't there today; instead it was moved to a memorial near Reactor 4. The statue is that of the mythological Greek deity Prometheus, who is known for stealing fire from the Gods and giving it to humanity. Prometheus' actions gave humanity the ability to destroy, something the Gods felt humanity wouldn't be able to control. It is poetic that his statue is in this city.

We were told there was nothing interesting to see in the theatre, so we kept walking.

Prometheus threatre and statue

When we arrived at the Arts Centre, we didn't have much time left to explore as we had to be out of the city by 6 PM, so we quickly entered the building and then left.

Piano room

Down from the Arts Centre was the main plaza of the city. Several famous shots of the city were taken from the rooftops surrounding this area, so we asked if we could go up and take some pictures too. Our guide said we couldn't as one of the military checkpoints were directly across from these buildings and they would be able to see us if we were on the roof – something that is forbidden.

Prypiat Plaza Prypiat Plaza

After exploring the plaza for a while, we entered one of the buildings and walked to the second floor. We passed through a few hallways and ended up in a large gymnasium. Twenty foot high windows lined one of the walls of the gym, but they had long been smashed and trees had begun to grow through them. It was here we got our first glimpse of the famous Ferris wheel.

It was also here that my camera died.

Thankfully I had my phone with me, but it too was almost dead. Fortunately, earlier in the day I discovered one of the guys on my tour had a portable charger. I hunted him down and asked if I could borrow it. He said yes, and I was able to charge my phone. The charge was slow and I didn't have enough battery power to open my camera, so I had to use the Facebook Messanger app instead. This greatly reduced the quality of the images, but it was the best I could do.

Ferris Wheel

After that, we left the area and returned to our hotel in Chernobyl City. Throughout our trip in Pripyat we saw a couple dogs, but that night I woke up to the sound of many dogs howling out in the distance. I don't know how many there were, but I learned the next day that after 9:30 PM, they not only lock the doors of the hotel but also the gates around the building. I'm not sure if this is to keep people inside, or to keep the dogs out.

The next morning, with my cameras fully charged, we reentered Pripyat and visited Cooling Tower 5. Reactor 1 through 4 were built on one side of the river, while Reactor 5 and 6 were to be built on the other. While the first four reactors didn't need cooling towers, the next two would. However, the explosion at Reactor 4 stopped construction and now the cooling towers stand as massive, incomplete monoliths.

Cooling Tower 5

Outside the cooling tower was another hotspot. Our guide believes a piece of the roof flew from Reactor 4 and landed here. She slid a concrete slab out of the way and took out her Geiger counter. The ground was reading at 74.93 μSv/h, which is enough radiation to kill somebody in one year and six months.

The inside of the cooling tower was covered in pipes, support columns, concrete pieces and moss. It was here one of the girls on the tour started playing Kraftwerk's Radioactivity from her phone. I took a picture of her doing it to try and capture the sheer size of the building we were in. You can see her in the below picture near the middle with her arm out. She's very small in comparison to the building so you might have trouble seeing her.

Cooling Tower 5 Cooling Tower 5

From Cooling Tower 5 we went down the road to Reactor 1 through 4. Our guide stopped on a nearby railway bridge and began throwing bread down into the water below. Out of the depths came scores of catfish. Without any local predators, the catfish can grow to astronomical sizes. We were lucky enough to see one of these giant catfish and I estimate it to be the size of a real cat or a small dog.

Bridge over river Prypiat

We then visited the memorial near Reactor 4. This memorial was built in honor of the firefighters who risked their lives to stop the flames from reaching Reactor 3. A few minutes later we saw the famous Reactor 4, with its near completed Sarcophagus. It is estimated to be completed this November and should last for 100 years.

From here we went back into Pripyat and arrived at one of the apartment buildings. It was the tallest building in the city and had over 18 floors. We then began the exhausting ascent up the crumbling building, through the broken doors, over the discarded furniture and around shattered glass. When I finally reached the top, I had an incredible view of the abandoned city, the overgrown trees, the rooftops and the four Reactors. To the right, far out in the distance was a near invisible structure known as Chernobyl-2, an early warning radar that scanned the skies for incoming American nuclear missiles.

Prypiat from above Prypiat from above

After being on the roof for half an hour, our guide told us we had fifteen minutes to explore the building. I was still exhausted from the climb so I explored the top two floors and then carried down to the bottom floor.

Inside apartment complex

We then went to another gymnasium where we found a basketball court and a swimming pool. Much like the first gym we had saw the day before, this one had large, twenty foot high glass windows that had been smashed.

Basketball court Swimming Pool

After the gym we went to the Elementary School. Every school in the USSR was equipped with gas masks in case of a nuclear or chemical attack, and this school was no different. We were told the masks in this school were never worn by the children, and instead were placed here by the military. I'm not sure of the reason. Since then, however, this has become one of the most famous rooms in Pripyat.

Sometime since the evacuation, somebody had come back and set up a "scene" in this room. They took one of the forgotten dolls, and placed it on a chair surrounded by the gas masks. They then put one of these gas masks on the doll. Finally, they busted a nearby TV and used it to frame the haunting masterpiece they had created.

Gas Mask Room Gas Mask Room Gas Mask Room

We then got back on the bus and rode it for half an hour to Chernobyl-2. This incredibly large radar system beamed across Europe and could be heard on radio channels throughout the continent, pecking away at regional broadcasts. This pecking sound gave it the nickname "The Woodpecker".

Chernobyl-2 used a third of the energy created by the plant and continued in operation three years after Reactor 4 blew. It was deemed obsolete near the end of the 1980s as it was discovered missiles could be launched over the Arctic much faster than over the Atlantic and Europe, and it was much too big to rotate. During its operation many believed the radar system was also used for mind control and weather manipulation.

Dugar radar in Chernobyl

Our guide told us the military discussed blowing the radar up at the end of its lifetime, but it was estimated that its collapse would trigger an earthquake around 7.0 on the Richter Scale – which would be potentially hazardous around several active nuclear reactors.

Behind Chernobyl-2 is the control room, which had a massive server room full of records of what the radar system picked up. Instead of destroying the radar, the military just destroyed the servers and the control room. They smashed the computers, broke the hard drives and tossed them off the building into a pile below. All that remains now are holes in the walls, instructions to identify missiles and empty server racks.

Dugar control room Dugar server room

Our tour ended in the junkyard. Cars that belong to the citizens of Pripyat were brought here, as well as the school buses used during the evacuation. This junkyard also holds the ruins of a downed helicopter and one of the evacuation tanks. This tank was the second most radioactive item we came across. Our guide showed us the Geiger counter and the tank was reading at 180 μSv/h. Standing next to this tank for six months would be enough radiation to kill any healthy person.

The last thing I took a picture of in Pripyat was the inside of a school bus, which was the last thing the citizens of Pripyat saw as well. On this bus sat families and friends who were being evacuated out of the city, believing they would one day return, only to become refugees in their own country.

Junk yard Junk yard Junk yard

It is important to remember when visiting Chernobyl and Pripyat that you are visiting somebody else's home. This city is where people were married, families were started and lives begun. It is where children went to school, adults worked and athletes trained.  It was a model city, much like any other across the Soviet Union and throughout the West. If you plan to visit Chernobyl and Pripyat, be sure to act respectfully. While it might be an Urban Explorers dream come true, for others it's a thirty-year-old nightmare that has yet to end.

I would like to once again give a big thank you out to ChernobylWel.come for putting on this tour. Our guide was incredible, friendly and very knowledgeable. It was thanks to them that this trip was possible, and it will be something that I will never forget. If you're planning on visiting Chernobyl and Pripyat, I recommend going with ChernobylWel.come.

If you enjoyed this article, then be sure to pin it!

Into the Exclusion Zone – Part 2 Into the Exclusion Zone – Part 2 Into the Exclusion Zone – Part 2

Sharing this article helps the blog grow!

Get Your Complete List of What to See & Do in Regina!

Others are reading...

Into the Exclusion Zone - Part 2

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

"The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads."

Revelations 8:10 – 11, Revelations 9: 1 - 4

Read More

My First Hostel

When I was planning my trip to Poland and Ukraine I wanted to make everything as cheap as possible. I picked the cheapest flight, I went on the cheapest tours and I picked the cheapest places to sleep. I have read about other people staying in hostels, and that they can be much cheaper than hotels or even AirBnb, so I figured I would give it a try.

My first hostel was Kiev Central Station Hostel, located about a 6 minute drive or a 21 minute walk away from Central Railway Station. If you visit this hostel I would recommend either getting a ride from a bonafide taxi driver or just walking the distance.

One of the problems with Kyiv is the number of unofficial taxi drivers in the city. They hang around the airport and train stations like buzzards, charge ridiculous rates and, at least in my experience, speak zero English and deliberately get lost. I was warned about the taxi drivers at the airport but not the ones at the train station, so I took a chance and got burned. My driver took me as far south as the Central Bus Station and then back north again, which cost me 1,900 Hryvnia, or about $100, when it should have only been a 6 minute drive. For a less experienced traveler the experience would have been harrowing, especially when the taxi driver refused to respond to my requests to "Stop and let me out" after driving me around for over half an hour.

Read More

Hong Kong Island

I had another another late morning in Hong Kong today, but that's because I only had one location in mind: The Peak on Hong Kong Island.

Last night on my way home I had bought a bottle of Aquarius Water. It's a wonderful beverage I first discovered in Japan. It's like the Gatorade of the Orient. No matter where I went in Japan I bought a bottle of it, and last night I bought a liter of it at a nearby 7-11. I took a swing of it for breakfast, brushed up and left for the day.

I walked West back to Olympic Station. It was difficult for me to find my way out of the station last night last night, but it was much easier in the daylight. Olympic Station is a huge station, that is several football fields long and multiple stories hight. It was also attached to a shopping mall, which is why it was so large. I also here learned that the reason it was named "Olympic Station" was in honor of several Hong Kong athletes winning gold in the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Read More